Monday, November 4, 2013

Cherry Wine, Day 1

I took a recipe from Terry Garey's book The Joy of Home Winemaking, with only slight modification. Here it is:
3 1/2 quarts of water
3 cans of tart red cherries in water (Oregon brand Montmorencies)
2 1/4 pounds of sugar
1 tsp acid blend
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1 pkg Montrachet yeast (Red Star dry)

I boiled the water and added the juice from the cherries and the sugar.
I put the cherries in a straining bag at the bottom of my primary fermenter.
I poured the boiling sugar water over the cherries.
I added the acid blend and yeast nutrient.
When the must cools, I will add the pectic enzyme and 24 hours later I will pitch the yeast.
I plan to let it go in the primary for five days, drain the fruit without squeezing and rack to the secondary.
I expect it to remain in the seconday (racked a couple of times) for 3 to 6 months before bottling.
Pie? No.

No comments:

Post a Comment