Thursday, October 17, 2013

Blueberry Wine, Day One

As the pineapple wine bubbles away in the secondary, I start a new batch. This is the recipe I'm using (cobbled together from multiple sources):
50 oz. Frozen Wild Blueberries
9 oz. dark raisins, soaked in warm water, then chopped in the blender.
1 pkg. Red Star Pasteur Red dry yeast
3 1/2 quarts of water (including the raisin soaking water)
2 lbs sugar
1 1/2 tsp Acid blend
1 tsp Wyeast yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme.

Wild Blueberry Must


I started today by bringing the water to a boil, then pouring it over the blueberries and chopped raisins which are in a straining bag in the primary fermenter.
I'm going to let that steep, covered for two days before I continue with the rest as recommended in an article by Jack Keller in the August/September 2013 issue of WineMaker.
+Jack Keller

No comments:

Post a Comment