Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Citrus Wine, Day 1

The primary was empty so . . . next batch.
Here is the recipe I slapped together:
4 lbs juice oranges
4 big tangerines
4 lemons (this might be too many lemons)
1 pkg Red Star Pasteur Champagne yeast
2 lbs sugar
1/4 tsp grape tannin
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
3 3/4 quarts of water

I put the zest of 2 oranges, 2 tangerines, and 1 lemon in a nylon bag. Then I peeled and sectioned all the fruit, removing as much of the white pith as possible. This is a big pain in the ass. Then with freshly scrubbed hands I squooshed all the fruit in the nylon bag in the primary fermenting bucket. Meanwhile I boiled the water and dissolved the sugar in it. Once the fruit was squooshed, I poured the boiling sugar water over it and then added the tannin and nutrient. When it is cool, I will add the pectic enzyme, and then tomorrow I will pitch the yeast.
All the fruit, pre-squoosh
Edit: Potential Alcohol before I pitched the yeast on 10/30 was about 12%

No comments:

Post a Comment