Saturday, October 12, 2013

Pineapple Wine, Day One

Let me start by saying that, I AM NOT AN EXPERT in this area. I don't need to be, and I'm not.

Today I started a batch of Pineapple wine, based on the recipe in Terry Garey's The Joy of Home Winemaking.
Must Ingredients: Canned Pineapple, Golden Raisins, Sugar and Red Star Cotes des Blancs dry yeast
Heres the recipe as I used it:
1 3/4 pounds of sugar dissolved in
3 1/2 quarts of water with the juice from
2 20 oz. cans of crushed pineapple which went into the primary fermenter with
1/2 lb. of chopped golden raisins and
1 tsp of Wyeast Wine Nutrient.

I boiled the water and dissolved the sugar in it. Then I added the pineapple juice from the cans and measured the PA (about 13%.) I poured the sugar water over the fruit (which I put in a nylon straining bag) in the fermenter and added the nutrient. When the must is cool I'm going to add 1/2 tsp. of pectic enzyme, and tomorrow I'm going to pitch the yeast. Stay tuned . . .
Pineapple Must. Smells Pineppley.

No comments:

Post a Comment